Monday, May 25, 2009

"Hey Porter...."

Last night before bed time, before I even thought about what I was saying...IT HAPPENED! I always thought I would take more thought into helping Porter say goodbye to his Binky's. I thought I would take him to the store and find something that would take the place of saying goodbye, or better yet a REWARD for being a big boy. But it happened all to quickly.

Sunday May 24th 8:15 P.M.

Me: "Hey Porter, do you want to throw away all of your Binkys?"
Porter: "OKAY!"
With out looking back he ran into my room and put his hand up reaching for his "Binky bucket" when I set it down he took every last Binky in the bucket (six total) and ran to the kitchen.
Me: Okay Porter, if you throw your binkys away that means we are a big boy and CAN NOT get them out.
And with out hesitation there he went one at a time throwing them into the garbage! And the whole time Jason and I were holding our hands over our mouths and holding back the sadness WE felt. We loved our BINKY BOY, and HE loved his binkys!!!
As soon as they were in the garbage he ran and sat on his blanket he was cuddling with earlier and said CHEESE, PICTURE! He KNEW what he had done was a big thing and wanted to celebrate with a picture!
I LOVE this boy, and I really loved his little binky face! I am so sad about this event. He had the CUTEST binky face in the world. My boy is growing up (tears!) this is just one of those small steps he is taking into becoming a big kid and I hate it. I want to freeze time and not let my babies grow up any more!
How PORTER is handling all of this.....well Sunday night he was a little wound up, we could hear him in his room gabbing away when all of a sudden we heard "GINKY, GINKY....WHERE ARE YOU????" So cute, yet so sad. He did end up falling asleep shortly after that. Today nap time was tough and bed time he was just plain sad, it only lasted for about 15 minutes. I just keep telling myself this is a good thing. I am so proud of my little man for doing it all on his own! Other than Sunday's "binky call" he has not mentioned them since. Now he just needs to figure out his own way to sooth and get himself to sleep with out the MUCH loved BINKY!!!!

6 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

Wow that is pretty awesome!! Way to go bud. He's so cute, I love that cheesy grin!

Stephanie said...

WOW!!! That is a major step, way to go, Porter! I am so proud of your little dude...I don't know when we are going to attempt the no binki zone or even how. I would really love to do it before the baby gets here, but I am SO not sure.

Erin said...

Wow!!! NO more binky's!!! thats awesome! oh I was going to tell you that we ate at CAFE RIO and i LOVED it! So yummy!!!

Brady, Emily, Brinklee, Adri (Private) said...

Yeah Porter! That is awesome, but I know what you mean about our little ones growing up too fast. It's sad isn't it?

HayleeBean said...

don't be too sad about your babies growing up because you'll love the stages that they go through next. I keep thinking and saying "this is my favorite age", and they get bigger and I say it all over again. Kids are just fun. I'm not saying wish it away, just enjoy! Simple as that.

Jessica said...

That's unheard of! I can't believe he decided to do it on his own. That's so funny he asked for a picture afterwards. Is he already potty trained? If not, sounds like he might just train himself. What an independent little guy!