Thursday, August 27, 2009

The boy who eats NOTHING!

OH my little Porter, how I wish you would eat SOMETHING other than PB&J's!!!! Truly my little man only eats about a handful of things. I don't know how to get him to try anything new. There is no reasoning with the boy, I've all but force feed him JUST TASTE IT, bribes don't work (not a fan of treats either!) Most of my problems are with dinner. About 80% of the time I set what everyone else is having for dinner in front of him and he tells us to STOP then continues to push the plate as far away from him as possible. Other times I don't want to fight and bring out the PB&J's. OH what is a mom to do!!!
Well last night he went hungry....this has happened many times before! But for some reason Jason and I felt extra bad about it last night. So this morning after his pancakes I gave Porter his favorite thing to eat in the ENTIRE world!! In fact I gave him 2!!


He was a happy boy to say the least!!
OH and this little lady was getting jealous of the picture taking. LOOK at that FACE! That tells you pretty much all you need to know about this little girl. She's got SPUNK!!! Everyone who knows her has been telling me lately how much her personality is growing. More to come on her soon!!!

7 comments:

Camron Amy Brycson said...

You're not the only one with the dinner battle. The other night Cam threatened eating dinner or a spanking. Brycson turned his bum towards Cam and said "spank me!" Pretty sad huh? Here's to hoping things will get better for you. "Fruity bars" as Brycson calls them are a favorite at our house too!

James and Mary said...

your kids are so stinkin' cute. i'm sad that i haven't met ellery yet! when we all move back to utah we are going to have to get together for sure.

Sarah said...

Mindi,

Jackson has been going through the same thing when it comes to eating lately! I remember hearing a doctor give advice on how to get your picky eater to eat and my mom and I tried it out on Jackson the other night and it totally has been working!!!! He has been eating everything I make for him. What we did was make and sit down as a family for dinner together. Then we all started eating our food and my mom and I kept saying how yummy the food was that we were eating without drawing any attention to Jackson and the fact that he hadn't touched his food yet. We sat there for probably 45-60 minutes (you are supposed to sit there as long as it takes) eating real slowly until Jackson finally decided to start eating. It sounds really corny but it totally worked and you just have to make sure you don't draw any attention to them and/or the fact that they haven't touched their food yet. I know it sounds weird but you pretty much have to ignore them... until they begin to eat. It totally worked for us and this doc said that you just have to be patient and not draw attention to them and make it a battle. Let me know if you decide to try it! This picky eating thing is not a fun battle at all for us moms.

Kerri said...

Mindi, aren't we all in the same boat here??? But I'm excited to try Sarah's suggestion! We've got to intervene before Ellery and all the rest of our little ones learn too much from their older siblings!

Jessica said...

Sophie does the pushing the plate away thing too, if she's in a really poor mood she won't stop pushing until it falls off the other side of the table. Makes me crazy! I try to keep the perspective that she will be fine. No treats until she eats her "food" but I am inspired by the other comment. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to make a different meal for each child? Good luck.
Oh and I love Ellery's sass picture, adorable.

Jami West said...

Those pictures are adorable!! I love hearing sweet little Ellery say "YA!" to everything. And Porter is so cute with his craziness :-)

I do what Sarah said above. I've been doing that with my Jackson for a few months and it really works. I just put the food on his high chair and sit down and eat my own food. I don't even look at him while I'm eating. Completely ignore him. A few minutes later he's checking out his food and then it's gone! I can't give him an ounce of attention if I want him to eat anything. Kids are funny.

Megan said...

That's funny that he loves those. They are getting so cute and your kids are so cute. Glad you guys are doing well. Cute photography pics.